Some songs are so ingrained in our psyche that a cover version would not make us forget the original or improve it. Covering them in concert is one thing but remaking them is another. When you compete against a memory…the memory wins. I know some will disagree but there are songs that in my opinion that are untouchable. That doesn’t mean I want to hear these songs over and over…some are worn out. I’m not saying the cover version would be bad…but it would not replace the original.
These are in no order. There are many more…any suggestions?
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen – I can’t even imagine someone seriously trying to pull this off…
- I Am The Walrus – Beatles -This bizarre piece of music would be hard to duplicate.
- Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin – It’s been tried…even by Pat Boone…Mr Soul Sucker who can take the soul out of a room by simply walking in. Dolly Parton even took a stab at it.
- Freebird – Lynyrd Skynryd – I don’t think anyone would want to try.
- Won’t Get Fooled Again – How would you match the intensity and power of this recording?
- Good Vibrations – Beach Boys – Todd Rundgren remade this and copied it almost exactly…but what was the point? He did a fine job of copying it.
- Sympathy for the Devil – Rolling Stones – I don’t see anyone matching the Stones version.
- Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen – Bruce layered so many guitars (I’ve read up to 24) to make his own wall of sound…I don’t see this being topped.
- Band On The Run – This is basically three songs into one with McCartney’s style
- Like A Rolling Stone – Bob Dylan – Maybe the best single ever released. Bob is one of the most covered artists but his voice just stings on this recording and it would be hard to match.
A few more I thought of… American Pie, A Day In The Life, Sounds of Silence