I’m not a big Ashton Kutcher fan but I do like this movie. It got panned by many critics when it was released in 2004. I am a sucker for Time Travel movies and for me, this is a decent one. It does get very grim at times and shows that a slight change in one event can change many others that come after.
Kutcher plays Evan Treborn who is basically a good guy who keeps having blackouts as a kid. The doctors cannot figure out why, but he has a gift or curse that was passed down from his dad. If he reads and concentrates on the journals he made as a youth he can go back in time to what he wrote about. He spends the movie trying to right wrongs that shape all of his friend’s future. Every change he makes has a consequence and leads to sometimes disastrous results.
He had been in love with Kayleigh Miller since he was a kid and Kayleigh lives with her sexually abusive father and her brother is a psychopath because of his home life. They both had a choice to live with their mom or dad but they picked their dad.
I can’t go any further without ruining it. The film has plenty of flaws but if you like Time Travel you might like this. It’s not Gone With The Wind but an enjoyable movie but with adult situations…not for kids.
One thing about it…I would suggest NOT to watch the Directors Cut first because four alternative endings were filmed and personally I liked the theatrical version the best. Whichever one you see you can watch the other endings on Youtube or the DVD.
- Ashton Kutcher as Evan Treborn
- Amy Smart as Kayleigh Miller
- Melora Walters as Andrea Treborn
- Logan Lerman as Evan, age 7
- Elden Henson as Lenny Kagan
- William Lee Scott as Tommy “Tom” Miller
- John Patrick Amedori as Evan, age 13
- Eric Stoltz as George Miller
- Ethan Suplee as Thumper
- Cameron Bright as Tommy, age 8
- Irene Gorovaia as Kayleigh, age 13
- Nathaniel DeVeaux as Dr. Redfield
- Tara Wilson as Heidi
- Jesse Hutch as Spencer
- Sarah Widdows as Kayleigh, age 7
- Jake Kaese as Lenny, age 7
- Kevin G. Schmidt as Lenny, age 13
- Kevin Durand as Carlos
- Callum Keith Rennie as Jason Treborn
- Lorena Gale as Mrs. Boswell
- Jacqueline Stewart as Gwen
- Jesse James as Tommy, age 14